Source: 7" two track BBD reel w/ DBX-1 @ 7 1/2 ips > PCM501ES (beta) > PCM501ES analog out > DBX-1 Decoder > analog in PCMF1/PCM501ES analog out > Fostex D5 @ 48 kHz > WBOTB Master DAT (DAT-1).
Original WBOTB DATs procured & circulated in 1996 by Jace Crouch and Tim Deibert.
Thanks to trailmix for providing the lineaged master DAT for transfer.
Transfer and mastering:
Jace's DAT (48 KHz) playback on Sony PCM-R500, AES digital output > Benchmark DAC1, XLR analog output > Grace Lunatec V3, sample rate at 96 KHz, AES digiout) > AES digital input, professional mode/sync - LynxTwo soundcard in E6400 dual core processor-based PC > HD as 24 bit/96 KHz WAV > Ozone 3.0 > MBIT+ dithering to 16/44.1 KHz WAV > CDWAV 1.9 (tracking) > FLAC (level 8). Recording, editing and mastering with Wavelab 5.0. All cables were Mogami Gold 0.3m pro-audio XLR cables. All components in the transfer/mastering chain were powered from a Cyberpower 1285AVR noise-attenuated uninterruptible AC power supply. Transferred and mastered by ChrisL.
Seeded by the Green Mountain Bros. at bt.etree.org, July 2007.
- Most of "Promised Land" is missing with cuts at the beginning and end. Also the mix fluctuates and is largely bass and drums.
- First few minutes of "They Love Each Other" are absent.
- Popping/distortion on master DAT during first 1:20 or so of "Estimated Prophet" attenuated with manual redrawing of waveform. Some audible artifacts remain, though the end result is an improvement. These are on the master DAT and all previous circulating sources and are not related to transfer. A few similar sounding pops were present at the end of the track preceding it (IMHBTR) and on previous circulating sources (though not commented on in the db) and were also attenuated.
- Reel flip in Drums crossfaded.
- High pitched whine @ 15600 KHz (inaudible to probably >90% of Jerry-experienced deadheads, but not their kids/grandkids) was attenuated using Waves Q10 Supernotch on 24/96 fileset.